Quick and Dirty Character Creation
Notes On Character Creation
- The Avatar Background is kind of like a difficulty slider for magic. More Avatar dots will give you more options to make magic easier – by spending Quintessence and by getting guidance from your Avatar
- You’ll start off not able to do that much, but have in mind where you’d like to be 100xp from now. Changing concepts halfway through Mage is really tough
- Think about what you do that isn’t magic. You have a mundane life that competes with magic for your attention, and relying on magic for everything is a path to hubris
- If you want to start off powerful, drop lots of Freebies into Arete – but you’ll be worse at everyday mundane things. If you have a low Arete to start, remember that you’ll fail and botch a significant amount, and be ready for that.
- If you want, or your background depends upon, a lot of specific NPCs in the game, the best way to do that is to take Backgrounds and Merits to represent them. Allies, Contacts, Influence, and so on.